What is DeepNote?
In short, it’s your ticket to finally playing “Through the Fire and the Flames” with 100% accuracy in the Guitar Hero video game. DeepNote was developed by me and 4 other friends with the goal of designing a bot that could “watch” the game in real time, and play it just like a human would. Other bots already existed that could have the note charts pre-programmed into them. DeepNote, however, plays the game with no prior knowledge and is still able to achieve 99-100% accuracy. We didn’t make DeepNote because we wanted to cheat at the game, we made it to learn about electrical and computer engineering concepts – I designed the circuits and worked on the note detection programming.
How does it Work & Can I Make it!?
There was extremely high demand for information about the inner workings of the bot and how people could build their own. So, I put together an entire website to explain how the bot works in detail. Check it out for more info on the inner workings of the DeepNote Bot.
System Walkthrough and Demo
|System Architecture Explained||Gameplay Footage|
More DeepNote Videos:
- 05/09/2008 – Building the DeepNote Bot – Stage 1
- 05/13/2008 – Building the DeepNote Bot – Stage 2
- 05/14/2008 – Building the DeepNote Bot – Stage 3
- 05/21/2008 – First Prototype Plays “Cult of Personality” on Expert Mode
- 05/31/2008 – DeepNote Plays Assorted Solos
- 07/07/2008 – DeepNote Bot Plays “Through the Fire and Flames” on Expert
- 07/10/2008 – DeepNote Plays Guitar Hero Aerosmith
- 08/06/2008 – How the DeepNote Bot Works (Featured Above)
- 12/20/2008 – DeepNote Playing Downloadable Content (Featured Above)
DeepNote Schematics, Source Code, and Documentation
DeepNote is comprised of entirely open source hardware and software. You can download all DeepNote materials in the GitHub Repository. This project is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike.
DeepNote in the News!
- 07/14/2008 – Engadget – “DeepNote Guitar Hero bot ‘watches’ the game, rocks you within an inch of your life“
- 07/14/2008 – Hack-a-Day – “DeepNote Guitar Hero Bot“
- 07/14/2008 – Joystiq – “DeepNote Guitar Hero Robot will rock your face off“
- 08/07/2008 – Engadget – “DeepNote Guitar Hero Bot reveals its secrets on video“
- 12/12/2008 – Parallax – Special Recognition in Parallax Propeller Design Competition
Read My Blog Posts about the DeepNote Development Process
I blogged the entire DeepNote design process. Checkout my dedicated blog category to see every step of the development process: DeepNote Blog Posts