Sunn is a startup that spun-off from my masters research at Cornell University. For 99.9% of human history we’ve lived outside underneath the sun. In today’s modern environment, we now spend nearly 97% of our time indoors, under static, artificial lighting. With sunn, my hope was to usher in a new era of transformative indoor lighting that brings the outside in, and the sun back into our lives. The sunn bulb is a “set it and forget it” solution for a dynamic lighting experience and healthy lifestyle. The lights that we designed use a fraction of the energy of a standard lightbulb, while emulating natural sunlight to mediate your circadian health.
I stepped down as CTO of sunn to join Google in 2013. Check out the video below to see what a day with sunn lights feels like, or visit the website to learn more.
One Day of Sunn from sunn on Vimeo.
During my time at sunn, we participated in a range of competitions, and fared very well. Here are some of our notable accomplishments:
- We were a member of the Cornell eLab, a competitive on-campus startup incubator at Cornell University.
- We were profiled in Funder’s Digest.
- We were profiled by USA Today.
- We won 2nd place and People’s Choice award at the Cornell Johnson’s Shark Tank event.
- We won the GE Imagination at Work award at Cornell’s Boom 2013 event.
- We won 2nd place at Cornell’s Red Ideas Festival.
- We won 3rd place in the Energy/Sustainability category at the NY State business plan competition.
- We won 1st place at the Cornell University Electrical and Computer Engineering Project Competition.
Here are some shots of the SUNN team at various events: